Thursday, April 23, 2009

Trash and Treasure

I've been quiet for a while, but I have good reason. I've been catching up on some things, mainly cleaning. Hold your applause.

There are several things that can reveal a person's character. Sorting through that person's closet is one of them.

During my cleanup, I've had the opportunity to look in my own closet, not the one in the house my husband and I have owned for nearly two years (good luck finding anything but rumpled clothes and old purses in there!). My sister recently moved into my grandparents' house, where I lived throughout high school.

So, I had to clean out my old room. Here are a few of the things I found:

  1. Kid Rock's first CD. Not sure what I'm talking about? Does Bawitdaba da bang a bang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump da boogy sound familiar? Yes, this says a lot about me. It also reminds me of the time I went crowd surfing at XFest at the Pittsburgh Post Gazette Pavilion. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones were on stage. It was awesome. The bad news about the CD - it was only the case. No disc inside. Designation: Trash.
  2. Miss Piggy Pen. Okay, so sometimes kids do silly things. When I was a preschooler, I was a bit rotund. My family, who loved me, thought it was fun to call me Miss Piggy. Eventually, I began to think I was a realistic version of the muppet (although I hated the show). In the pharmacy, I picked out a Miss Piggy toothbrush and while handing it to the cashier, I told her, "I get a Miss Piggy toothbrush because I'm a pig." I think some oinking was involved, and I'm certain there was laughter. Although it's not a toothbrush, it reminds me of the good times. Designation: Treasure.
  3. School pictures. You know the kind. The day after kids get them back, they're chopped up into tiny squares and passed around to the coolest kids first, then the okay kids, until the pile runs out. You write fun stuff on the back such as: "Tammy, Sorry it took so long for the pic. Don't forget the fun night we had at the movies." Uh, looks like I forgot. Sorry. In my defense, nine years have passed. Because I'm a sentimental idiot...Designation: Treasure.
  4. Taebo bootcamp. Taebo is a good workout. I did Taebo all through high school and college. Good stuff. The problem is this box of taebo bootcamp DVDs has been in my old closet for about five years. Hopefully, that doesn't mean we're revisiting the rotund issue. In hopes of shedding a few pounds (right after I eat those chocolate chip cookies in the kitchen)...Designation: Treasure.

One last treasure - my name. As a point of information, I was named after my Aunt Tammy and a contestant on the 25,000 Pyramid named Tamara.

At Jacksonville University Fin-Fest in 2003, one of the vendors was printing name cards for the students. The cards list the root, origin and meaning of the names. You can be the judge on whether this exercise is a true indication of character.

Tamara - Hebrew name meaning "a palm tree." The owner of this name provides sound advice to others, is cool under pressure, often has the last laugh, is not bothered by worry, dares to excel, is a great innovator, is a person who is tactful and obliging, and her strength supports many.

P.S. Go Pens!

No comments:

Post a Comment