Friday, June 26, 2009

Freaky Friday: Trip to Lily Dale

When I think back on my childhood, it's no secret I find myself writing about ghosts now. My mom was a big believer in spirits, psychics, the power of dreams, basically taking truth from things many people don't give an ounce of credit to.

Then there's my uncle. I don't think there was a weekend visit to his place that didn't involve a movie like Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Phantasm, Hellraiser, Puppet Master, Amityville and so on.

My grandmother was a fan of Poltergeist and Unsolved Mysteries, especially the ghostly cases.

See where I'm going with this?

But just as I started working on my ghost hunting tales in January, I discovered a few YA book series that I loved as well. One was the Lily Dale series by Wendy Corsi Staub.

Three Lily Dale books, Awakening, Believing, and Connecting, have already been released with Discovering coming out this fall. They tell the story of Calla Delaney, a teenage girl whose mother dies in their Tampa home. Her father is taking a job in California, but she doesn't want to go. Instead, she moves with her crazy grandma in Lily Dale, New York, a village for registered mediums and clairvoyants.

I'm not going to tell you any more about what happens to Calla, but I would recommend the books. Highly.

When I read them, I wanted to pack my car and drive the simple three and a half hours north to Lily Dale, but they were closed.

Not anymore.

Lily Dale officially opens this weekend, and I'm packing my bags when I finish this post. I'm really excited and promsie to report back any eerie happenings...

No comments:

Post a Comment